Monday 3 November 2014

Cosplay Prop Progress - Nico Yazawa Microphone

I wanted to make a prop to go with my Nico cosplay, so the obvious choice was her cat microphone from the second season! It doesn't look exactly perfect, but it's a neat little prop that will be good for photos~

I didn't take as many photos of the beginning process as I would have liked, so I'll try and explain as I go along. I started with a toilet roll tube and a polystyrene ball, I cut the tube up the side and taped it back together making it tapered towards the bottom. I then taped the ball on top to keep it in place.
 I then made ears out of tin foil by making triangle-ball shapes and indenting the middle using my fingernails, it took a while to get the size and shape I wanted, but then I taped them onto the ball. I then covered the whole thing in masking tape. I also added arms and a tail with rolled up tin foil covered in masking tape and taped in place.
 Then it was time for paper mache! I mixed PVA glue and water and pasted torn up newspaper onto it. I did about 2-3 layers, until it felt hard and sturdy enough.
 You can see the tail from this angle.
 Once it was ready I began to paint. I painted areas that were going to be a light colour in white first so the paint would stand out. I also painted the black.
 First coat of pink for the base, I changed the colour a lot to get it to look right.
 Ear and arm colour, I then painted the black again to neaten it up.
 I then painted the face and the mic was complete! Not too neat, but it'll do for photos!


1 comment:

  1. Gosh, you are such an adorable Nico, I have to see photos of your outfit!! I love bokurawa ima no naka de~

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and feedback are always appreciated! <3